Our Story

In 2016 Troon Privé assumed management of Tumble Brook welcoming the Club into the Troon family. Now members receive not only an exceptional member experience but access to global benefits. The history of Tumble Brook that has evolved since 1922 is the biggest part of what the Club is today!

Club History

Tumble Brook Country Club was named for the brook, which flows through the Club property. It was incorporated and organized in October 1922, and was largely an outgrowth of an in-town social group known as the Touro Club.

Shortly thereafter the Club purchased the 155-acre R.G. Miller farm in Bloomfield. Willie Park, one of the foremost golf course architects of the time, was commissioned to design the first nine and construction was then started. Erection of the clubhouse, designed by local architects Smith and Basset, was begun the following year. In 1924 the opening affair at the clubhouse was held at the end of May. An annual Anniversary Dinner Dance was held for 50 years each May commemorating this occasion. The golf course was opened to play that same season.

The Clubs first two tennis courts were not built until May of 1929. In December of that same year, the Club purchased an additional 4 acres of land on Simsbury Road from the Estate of Curtis Cook, which is where the practice fairway and driving range are currently located.

On September 15, 1946, the original $60,000 mortgage note on the Club dated February 13, 1924, was retired and burned. The next year construction of the second nine, designed by Orrin E. Smith, was begun and opened to play in the spring of 1949. That same year, an addition to the clubhouse was built enlarging the kitchen and provided for the private dining room and a downstairs card room.

During the next six years, the clubhouse was renovated, re-decorated, and the locker rooms were enlarged. In addition, the swimming pool, pool building, snack bar and new pro shop were all built. In 1960, the Club purchased the Humphrey Farm north of the original Club property, thereby assuring sufficient land for a third nine-holes.

After more than a year of planning, ground was broken for a new clubhouse in the fall of 1963. On the Sunday before Thanksgiving in 1964, an open house was held for all members officially opening the new clubhouse.

The third and fourth tennis courts were added to the Clubs facilities in 1965, with a fifth court added in 1970. Eventually, two more tennis courts were completed in 1974 to accommodate the increase in play. The Clubs two paddle tennis courts were opened in 1969.

The third nine, designed by George Fazio, opened for limited play in the fall of 1970, and was eventually integrated with the rest of the golf course in 1971. In 1974, construction of an enlarged and improved golf pro shop was begun and completed.

The Club celebrated its 50th anniversary with gala festivities throughout Memorial Day weekend 1974. The Clubs original membership numbered about 140. During the depression it dwindled to below 100. Then, in the mid-1940s, the Club saw the membership begin to climb. In 1999, after a year of festivities in celebration of its 75th anniversary, the Clubs membership stood at over 450.

In 2002 the Club began a renovation program for the golf course and summer facilities. Mark McCumber and Associates was the architects for the golf course renovations. Judd Brown Designs was the architect for the summer facilities and pool house improvements. In 2003 the summer facilities were put into service and in 2005 the golf course renovation was completed. Today the Club is magnificent.

So many great rounds of golf played in the Club's first century!



TUMBLE BROOK COUNTRY CLUB 376 SIMSBURY ROAD BLOOMFIELD, CONNECTICUT 06002
Clubhouse: (860) 242-4600 Golf Pro Shop: (860) 726-9933 Golf Line: (860) 242-6699
Site Options
Object Plugins
FED
CWS & Content Load
Loading Box